Serum has an irreplaceable role in cell growth and proliferation in cell culture, so how does serum play a role in cell culture, and what are the requirements for media bottle packaging?
Function of Serum:
1. The main substances in serum are protein, albumin, etc., which can buffer the pH of the cell culture medium and maintain the osmotic pressure;
2. Binding proteins such as transferrin and thyroxine-binding protein can recognize vitamins, lipids, metals and other hormones, etc., and can combine with toxic metals and pyrogens to detoxify;
3. Fibronectin, fetuin and adhesion factors in fetal bovine serum can promote cell adhesion and spreading;
4. Polypeptides such as platelet growth factor, fibroblast growth factor, epidermal growth factor, nerve cell growth factor, insulin, insulin-like growth factor, somatotropin, hydrocortisone, etc. can support cell division and proliferation and maintain cells logarithmic growth;
5. Protease inhibitors such as macroglobulin can inhibit protease and protect cells from damage;
6. Serum is also rich in amino acids, glucose, ketoacids and trace elements combined with proteins, which are all meaningful for cell culture.
Requirements for media bottles:
Serum has complex components and important functions, so the preservation and use of serum is very important. In the selection of serum bottles, the bottle body is generally required to be transparent, free of DNase, RNase, pyrogen and other substances that affect cell growth, and sealed to prevent leakage. It is worth noting that serum generally needs to be stored in an environment of -5 °C to -20 °C, so the material of the media bottle must also meet the characteristics of low temperature resistance.
The FAI climbed 5.9 percent year-on-year in the first 11 months of 2018, quickening from the 5.7-percent growth in Jan-Oct, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said Friday in an online statement.
The key indicator of investment, dubbed a major growth driver, hit the bottom in August and has since started to rebound steadily.
In the face of emerging economic challenges home and abroad, China has stepped up efforts to stabilize investment, in particular rolling out measures to motivate private investors and channel funds into infrastructure.
Friday's data showed private investment, accounting for more than 60 percent of the total FAI, expanded by a brisk 8.7 percent.
NBS spokesperson Mao Shengyong said funds into weak economic links registered rapid increases as investment in environmental protection and agriculture jumped 42 percent and 12.5 percent respectively, much faster than the average.
In breakdown, investment in high-tech and equipment manufacturing remained vigorous with 16.1-percent and 11.6-percent increases respectively in the first 11 months. Infrastructure investment gained 3.7 percent, staying flat. Investment in property development rose 9.7 percent, also unchanged.